Browse the PointBox repository

All Sorrow Joy monastery refectory (Moscow)1

Department of Historical Information Science MSU

All Sorrow Joy monastery refectory (Moscow)

327
0

Novoslobodsky park of Moscow

Department of Historical Information Science MSU

Novoslobodsky park of Moscow

320
0

St Vladimir's Church, Moscow

Department of Historical Information Science MSU

The Church of St. Vladimir in the Old Gardens (Церковь Святого Владимира в Старых Садах) is a pentacupolar Orthodox church in Basmanny District of Moscow, next to Ivanovsky Convent, close to the confluence of the Yauza and Moskva rivers. It originated in the early 15th century as a palace church of Vasily I and was frequented by royals until the ascension of the Romanov dynasty.[1] The deliberately archaizing building was erected in the 1660s on the old foundations.[1] The south porch is left over from an earlier church designed by Aloisio the New for Vasily III in 1514. A distinctive belfry was overhauled during Catherine II's reign. The Soviets closed the church and prepared it for demolition.[2] Its domes were dismantled, and the interior was adapted for storage of books. A 1980 fire destroyed the remaining frescoes. The Russian Orthodox Church obtained the church in 1990 and had it thoroughly repaired and refurnished. Its parish is one of the most prosperous in Moscow.

234
0

Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Podkopai

Department of Historical Information Science MSU

The stone church was rebuilt at the end of the 17th century. based on a more ancient temple. The bell tower was built in 1750-59, at the same time the dome was redesigned. The main throne of the Kazan Mother of God. Chapels of st. Sergius (left) and St. Nicholas (right). The temple was ravaged during the war of 1912 and was abolished due to the absence of a parish. In 1855, he was transferred to the device of the monastery of the Patriarchate of Alexandria, only after which it was renewed. It was closed in the late 1920s. In 1991, returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.

56
0